Colorado Recreational Property with Exceptional Home and Improvements
Unique by architectural design and excellence this Dolores Colorado home on 46.97 acres with 1,044 feet of Dolores River frontage is in a class of its own. Located on year round maintained state Hwy 145 it is 45 minutes from Telluride, 35 minutes from Cortez and 45 minutes from Durango and only a few minutes from Dolores. This one-of-a-kind home was designed by renowned architect Jon Pomroy and built by a well-known to the area building contractor, Aaron Taylor. The home is one of the homes featured in a book of Jon Pomroy’s finest homes. Adding to the home’s character was the input from the husband and wife owners, the husband being a well-known archaeologist and engineer with a passion for Native American history.
In a timeless setting with supreme workmanship and attention to details this home is unique. Impressive stone work inside and outside the home help set this masterpiece of a structure at a value far beyond the current asking price. Words cannot describe this property! Only pictures or an actual visit to the property can justify its being.
Excellent fishing in the Dolores River and fantastic views from this property complement this Colorado trophy property. The San Juan National Forest also adjoins the property on two sides. The 46.97 acres is composed of 3 adjoining lots with each lot having Dolores River frontage. Five water wells service the property with at least one well per lot.
The main house has 5,770 square feet of living area with an additional 990 square feet of climate controlled mechanical room and an additional 1,323 square feet of heated garage. The guest house has 1,400 square feet of living area, sleeps 12 people, 2 car garage, workshop and storage area. The guest house comes furnished. The property is fenced and gated.
The two homes and land are in excellent condition. The initial investment for the land and homes was $5,800,000. The listing price of this property is $3,800,000.
Main House Interior:
The home’s custom interior of 5,763 square foot, with 3 bedrooms and 5 ½ baths is designed with optimization of convenience and comfort while providing space and lighting for art collections. Pueblo-style stacked sandstone walls and columns, large hand-distressed exposed beams, and wide Douglas fir plank floors throughout the home add texture and warmth to the home’s interior. Custom cabinetry, granite and marble counter tops, Walker Zanger tile, under floor heating, central stereo, adjustable museum and area lighting, central vacuum system, and security system are just some of the amenities. The Pueblo Kiva inspired entry provides dramatic curved stacked stone walls and latilla ceilings with custom lit niches and pedestals for art. No expense was spared for optimizing art display areas with accent lighting. Beyond the Kiva entry, natural light fills the 28 foot high great room adjacent to the dining room and leads into the large professionally equipped kitchen all with scenic property views of the rear garden patio and the Dolores River. There is a sunny breakfast room with adjacent pantry, large laundry room and full bath at the garage entrance. The master bedroom area includes a cathedral ceiling with beautiful views of the river, his and her bathrooms, his and her closets and a work out room. Another area of the house has a large trophy room or entertainment space with fully equipped bar and an adjacent office with storage room. The guest area upstairs has two bedrooms with private bathrooms, a common den with kitchenette and an exterior balcony with river views.
Main House Exterior:
The home design is of a classic Anasazi stacked stone architecture. The architect specifically adapted the floor plan to the site taking advantage of the views of the Dolores River, the beautiful surrounding mountains and valley. The front stacked stone exterior is a replica of a round Pueblo Kiva, which was a native Indian religious ceremonial space. The front façade is built on sandstone boulders adjacent to a pond with 4 waterfalls traversed by a 30’ log bridge from guest parking to the large double metal and glass front doors of the house. The riverside includes a stone patio with BBQ area that includes built-in counters, BBQ pit, smoker, rock table that seats 12 and a fire pit. The garage and garage apron are under floor or under pad heated. Some exterior walkways are also heated. The roof of the house is a continuous seam metal with an ice melting system.
Onsite water wells supply water to the estate. Electricity is from the local utility company. Telephone, internet, cable, and satellite are local. There is propane for cooking and heating with a large tank adjacent to electrical and water services accessible near the concrete driveway’s heated apron. Propane is readily available and regular planned tank fill ups are typical.
Amenities and Ambiance:
All areas of this incredible property provide a perfect setting for large parties, family celebrations, intimate gatherings, or just a quiet refuge after enjoying local and nearby attractions including shopping, antiquing, snow skiing, hunting, fishing, hiking, national park tours and local museums. Natural light and beautiful views are part of day to day living in this incredible home that honors Pueblo heritage, culture, and architecture, all while providing a warm, inviting home in a natural setting.
Landscape Architect, Charles Seha, designed and landscaped the property to enhance the natural setting and improve vistas from the home with natural native plants. The front pond landscaping includes mature maple and spruce trees, iris, native berry bushes and flowering shrubs. Side yards are provided with mature spruce and aspen trees, natural grasses and shrubs to attract native wildlife. There is a large flower garden that spans the length of the house between the rear patio and the river with mature native bearded irises, peonies, dogwood and native wild flowers along the river. Within the yard a 5 foot wide walkway of crushed stone, stone pavers, stone steps and a stone bridge with strategically located stone benches connect the different areas of beauty. There is an extensive drip and sprinkler irrigation system that maintains this river estate landscaping. The property setting is populated with native cottonwood, willow trees, mature spruce, aspen, bristlecone pines, Gambel oaks and ornamental maple.
Main House Room Descriptions:
- Entry Foyer – 12’x12′ – Curved stacked stone walls of Pueblo Kiva design with latilla (wood branch structure) ceiling.
- Great Room – 28’x30’ – This room has 30’ high ceilings with an impressive 30’x30’ stacked stone wall with fireplace. The fireplace mantel and hearth is also of rock. An adjacent 9’ high slab rock formation supports logs from the Kiva foyer into this great room. A 30’ x 30’ wall of double pane glass has views of the Dolores River and the white granite outcropping across the river nicknamed “Gator Head”.
- Trophy Room & Bar – 600 Sq Ft – The entrance from the Great Room into the trophy room and bar is framed by a 20’ high Roman Key Arch. Within this room and opposite the Roman arch is a stacked stone tower with an Anasazi style window opening. The tower in the room features a built in bench with a stone table. Opposite the tower and next to the Roman arch doorway is a custom bar (12’x8’) with 14’x2’ cocobolo wood top. Appliances include wine cooler, beverage refrigerator, glass front upper cabinets and lower cabinets, wash sink and icemaker. Along the back wall of the bar is a granite countertop with authentic fossilized inlayed back splash. There is a motorized cover for the 46” flat screen TV above the bar. In the center of the room is a slab rock formation. A 24’ tall log wall serves as one side of this room and another side of the room has a 3’ wide fireplace built into a 20’x28’ tall wall of stacked stone.
- Secured Storage Room -15’x8’ – All locking cabinets with adjustable shelving for securing treasures. Desk area and drawers are also convenient for file keeping and inventory.
- Office – 16’x 12’ – Built in bookcases and cabinetry. Elk antler chandelier. All computer controls are in this space.
- Guest Wash Room – 10’x6’ – Custom granite sink, custom toilet and cabinetry. Adjacent to the great room it also has a stacked stone accent wall.
- Dining Room – 18’ x14’- Seats 12 with open granite serving bar. French glass and wood doors open up to the north patio.
- Kitchen – 18’x22’- Commercial stainless gas stove has 6 burner, griddle and 2 ovens with a commercial hood. Other kitchen appliances include a warming drawer, convection/microwave oven, 2 under counter refrigerator drawers, refrigerator and freezer with custom cabinet doors to match the kitchen cabinets, 2 dish washers and a deep corner sink. The kitchen has all custom cabinets and countertops include a phone message center and a large 5’ x 9’ island with prep sink. The kitchen has 30’ of 2’ deep 1½” thick granite counter space.
- Walk-in Pantry – 10’x8’ – Pantry has all custom cabinetry and shelving.
- Breakfast Nook – 11’x10’- Built in TV cabinet, windows facing 2 different directions with beautiful views and a door to the side yard.
- Laundry Room – 12’x14’ – Custom storage and keyed cabinets for everything from small tools to tablecloths hangers. Organization is accommodated for anything. Washer and dryer on elevated platform. Laundry chute from bathroom above provides easy access to dirty laundry. Wet sink.
- Central Service Hall from garage provides direct access to storage room, laundry room, and custom tiled bath with shower. No tracking any mud or snow in the house. Additional built in custom china cabinet with glass uppers, drawers and closed front lower cabinet area adjacent to the Dining Room and guest stair.
- Guest Bedrooms – Upstairs there are two guest bedrooms with each having a separate bathroom. There is a guest kitchenette with microwave, sink, icemaker and refrigerator. An upstairs outdoor balcony gives breathtaking views of the area.
- Master Bedroom – This room is spacious! Custom electric curtains. French doors to patio.
- Master Her Bathroom – 12’x10’ – Venetian marble heated floors, heated towel racks, chandelier, sconces, custom remote controlled draperies, custom cabinetry, mirrors and a Jacuzzi tub with Venetian mosaic accents.
- Master His Bathroom – 8’x18 – Authentic fossilized fish inlaid in tile along the walls, custom vessel sink, built in shelving, chest of drawers, oversize shower enclosure with rain shower head, heated towel rack and custom window shades.
- Her Closet – 12’x12’- Provided with all custom cabinets, center storage and counter area.
- His Closet – 9’ x12’- Provided with all custom cabinets, storage for any type of clothing.
- Exercise Room – 12’x14’- South facing windows and exterior door for fresh air, TV and custom cabinet storage.
- 3 Car Garage – 30’x30’ – Finished wood walls throughout. Located here in this secured place are all electrical panels, central heat equipment, floor heating equipment, access to crawl space under the house and the vacuum system. There is 20’ of wall storage for ski equipment, hunting equipment, outdoor furniture cushions and an entertainment center (48” TV/stereo). Also here is a sink with cabinets below and above for pet foods and exterior cleaning items.
Guest House and Garage Description:
- The guest house is a 1,400 square foot log cabin and is on a raised foundation 3’ above ground. The space below the floor is accessible from inside the cabin.
- There are 1,260 square feet on level one and a 140 square feet loft bedroom on level two There is a 6’x12’ locking storage area that is outside the cabin but under the roof slope.
- Master bedroom – 12’x12’with 8’x12’ separate bath.
- Great Room – 24’x36’ with 18’ cathedral ceiling includes kitchen, dining, living and beds for 5 people.
- Bathroom with Laundry Area – Second bath is 7’x 12’
- Separate Garage – 28’x26’ – Includes a kitchen. Insulated throughout including the garage doors.
- Pump House – Also adjacent to the guest house is a pump house for the water well servicing the guest house. The pump house has additional space for tools and related equipment for pump servicing.
Located on year round maintained state Hwy 145 it is 45 minutes from Telluride, 35 minutes from Cortez and 45 minutes from Durango and only a few minutes from Dolores.
$11,246 in 2016